Skip to main content

G.I. Joe- 3.75 Division Episode 35: "To go boldly..."

Man a LOT of time has lapsed between putting new episodes of the comic up hasn't it? 

Episode 34 debuted on July 7th 2022 and episode 35 wouldn't debut until December 31st 2022- and exactly thirty minutes from midnight to boot! 

Alot of insanity has cropped up in my personal life prohibiting me from doing more photo shoots and progressing the story as I wanted it to, but from chaos comes order (so to speak).

Episode 35 is monumental because it's the start of a new concurrent story arc that will be taking place parallel to the "The Rescue of Deep Six" story arc I've been showing since 2021. 

I'm really enjoying this other story arc and I hope you all well too.

As usual, click the photos to enlarge them for easier viewing and check after the last photo for some more Director's commentary!










Okay fun Fact? I totally didn't remember that the first episode of this series was titled "To bodly go...", so it's rather appropriate that this new story arc starts with the title it does.

I have a few dialogue Easter eggs tossed in here, which you may or may not have picked up on. In panel 3, Dial-Tone's threat to Rock 'n Roll is a variation of the line Bruce Dern delivers as character 'Mark Rumsfield' in the 1989 movie 'The 'Burbs':

It's a paraphrasing of the line, and sliding in "the 'burbs" is a double nod to both the film AND that Dial-Tone has seen a lot of combat as a living toy in the suburbs of humans.

Dial-Tone also makes a nod to Black Major, a well know producer of awesome and unique vintage O-Ring G.I. Joe figures. Some of his figures should be showing up in this comic down the road, so I felt it was only fair to tip the hat to him a little bit. 

When I saw this 1994 Battle Corps Dial-Tone figure, I knew I had to get him into the comic somehow. I love his look as it reminds me of an amalgamation of an Inhumanoids Earth Corps outfit and a Visionaries mystical knight (its that awesome helmet). I didn't want to add him to the core 3.75 Division team right out of the gate- especially since they are busy trying to save Deep Six AND stop Cobra Commander from brining a Tendril toy to life (needless to say they are a bit preoccupied).

That's when I had an idea to use Rock 'n Roll as a way to keep us connected to the 3.75 Division team and through him I could bring in all sorts of new toys and G.I. Joe characters. 

Dial-Tone was crucial for this as his specialty as Communications for the G.I. Joe team makes him the perfect person to tie all these threads together. Mostly because the 1983 Rock 'n Roll figure has zero communication equipment and has absolutely no way to raise Scoop on a radio to let them all know he's not trapped anymore. 

There wasn't much in the way of deleted scenes in this episode, aside from an alternate take of Rock 'n Roll looking off camera to the voice that would be calling out to him:

Oh! Here's something else. Whenever I make an episode to post on Instagram, I make a sort of "Story Board" for it and screen capture it so I know what order to upload the photos to Instagram.

Here's as good a place as any to show it:

I never work off of scripts or anything, mostly just some notes talking about what will be going on in an episode. So every photo is taken with a rough idea about what will happen in my head. Apparently, Stan Lee from Marvel Comics fame used to do this with his artists and would give them ideas of what to draw and when they'd give him the drawn pages, Stan would then add dialgoue based on how the scenes looked. Awesome to know I have the same thought process as one of the greats!

Stay tuned for Episode 36 which will be here MUCH sooner then 2 months. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G.I. Joe- 3.75 Division Episode : 30 "Dreadnoks: Toy Scalpers"

What? More Dreadnoks hijinks with Road Pig and Cyrus Borg?? Don't threaten me with a good time! We find Road Pig and Cyrus entering the Flight Hanger of The Deep  to go out in search of more living toys to capture.  More Director's commentary information after the last panel and make sure to click each image to expand it for easier reading! There was a BUNCH of things that got clipped off due to the square frame of Instagram, like the Aero-Viper working on the front module of the Cobra Condor Z25 . I didn't show any more of it as, well if you have never seen the Cobra Condor up close the thing is like a pickaxe. It's HUGE. The entire jet would have eclipsed the hanger set, but as I wanted to show some of it, I opted go show just the front half.  Here is an unused shot of the Aero-Viper possibly talking to Road Pig and Cyrus as they walk by, but it was cut as it really wasn't necessary.  I ended up selling the Cobra Condor Z25 off in 2022 because it just didn't

G.I. Joe- 3.75 Division Episode : 18 "Don't Splash in the Pool"

This is a very video heavy episode, just because moving water carries more weight when seen in motion versus a still photograph. I had a lot  of fun shooting this episode, and it is easily one of my favorites of the first 20 I shot. As per usual, click on each image or video to view them clearer and check after the last panel for Director's commentary and behind the scenes information! This episode was a TON of fun to shoot. I took a large zip lock plastic baggie and actually put my cell phone inside it in order to get alot of these underwater shots. It was a BIG risk but I felt the results came out really fun and awesome. Splashdown is one of my favorite Autobot Pretenders, and he just has a really slick look. His armor reminds me of the Shocking Shark Battle Beasts  playset, and as Battle Beasts started in Japan as Beastformers , part of me wonders if it was intentional or not. There were not alot of deleted scenes in this episode, but there were some alternate ones where I did v

G.I. Joe- 3.75 Division Episode 37: "The Lab"

Okay we're back people ( I have no idea how many people read these here, but welcome if you do! ), it's been almost 5 months since our last episode but I really wanted to get moving on this photo comic again as I really do enjoy writing and shooting photos for it. As of this writing I have enough photos to probably get to episode 40 before I need to set up more scenes to photograph, maybe enough to get to episode 41 ( I haven't story boarded past Episode 38 so I presently can't say ). Episode 37 marks our return to the "Search for Deep Six" story arc that's been going on behind the scenes since this photo comic began almost 2 and a half years ago ( holy crap where did the time go?? ) and the photos in this episode were all shot on September 11th 2021. What's crazier? I put Episode 37 up on Instagram on September 11th 2023- two YEARS later to the day. Totally unintentional as I just looked at the dates on the original photos while writing this introduct